Saturday, March 10, 2012

Choosing a donor

Choosing a sperm donor. It's weird. No 2 ways about it. It can be kind of fun looking through the catelogs. They are shockingly similar to Internet dating websites. You can search the same way- by ethnicity, education level, religion. You read about their interetss and family history. Does it matter 1456 loves gardening? Does that pass down with genes? What does matter? I though I'd look for a college educated black man, because that's what I like to date. But as I started looking, I started realizing that I don't know what really matters genetically. I plan to override the male traits in most cases. Maybe it doesn't matter if he didn't go to college. I'll read to the kid. I'll make him educated. And race isn't too important either. I started to think what matters to me is that the guy is an ID release- meaning he is willing to be known to the kid once the kids turns 18. That oddly ruled out almost all the black donors. I also don't care much about height. If the kid is a boy, I sort of think it would be good for him to be tall, in case kids pick on him. But kids pick on everyone and will find some reason to do it. I also don't want to obsess over all the options. Some of the sperm banks let you hear the donor's voice, see baby pictures, read essays they write. All have a self-reported health history. I came to think I'd like to rule out someone with diseases that are likely to be hereditary. I quickly came to see I have no idea what is hereditary. If I were a normal girl, i'd take the good with the bad of my partners genes. So I don't plan to obsess too much. I chose a Latino med student who talked in his interview about his mom. I like brown- I think the population will grow more brown over time and with his light brown skin, I like to think my kid can go anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment